Minutes 1/5/18

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes 1/5/18

1 st May 2018 Meeting 10 of 10
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sarah Huggins
Apologies Steve Grist, Ben Pope, Sharyn Jarvis
Agenda:

 Crowdfunder/Share offer
 Publicity
 Jonathan Ashbridge/Valuation
 HMRC
 Bell in Bath

1. Crowdfunder/Share offer
The share offer is a huge piece of work and needs to be absolutely correct. Arranged a day
to sort out on 11 th May. Already have history etc/need business parts and legalese.
Must go on: Tick boxes to say been read, whether interested in tax relief, nomination of
beneficiary form – name, address, email, phone.
Tick box – declare over minimum age of 16
Tick box – permission to sent newsletters and other communication relating only to society
business – need that for data protection rules
Also need to state that won’t share data with anyone
Steve advised that the law on opt-in is tightening.
Do we have someone allocated to us for support with crowdfunder?
Publicity
2. ITV feature was good on the whole and is generating lots of enquiries re. shares. Once the
share offer is up and running, Esther will jump in with her PR contacts. All in place and ready
to go.
3. Jonathan Ashbridge
Meeting was successful and JA has agreed to work for us pro bono. This shared on
facebook. Contact re. valuers were unsuccessful so we have decided to instruct James Baker
in Bath.

4. David Boyle/HMRC
Has provided us with a letter ready to go to HMRC, as soon as registration is complete. We
can treat the venture as a set up business which means that investors will be eligible for 50%
tax relief.

5. Bell in Bath
Have been hugely supportive and have offered to hold a fundraiser on our behalf after their
AGM. They will provide a band for the afternoon and we need to provide one for the
evening. Also need to discuss how to publicise this.

Jobs for each person in group to do by 11 th May
Andy: Email JA with business plan, continue to work on funding and grants, contact Bell re. publicity
and read handbook.
Nel: Complete legal part of share offer, put completed business plan with figures on email, read
handbook.
Sarah: Send completed business plan to Alex for perusal and feedback, Leaflet Altons and Stanton
Sharyn: Read handbook

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 21/4/18

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes 21/4/18

21 st April 2018 Meeting 9 of 9
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sarah Huggins
Apologies Steve Grist, Ben Pope, Sharyn Jarvis
Agenda:
 How to improve publicity – twitter – Sara Jeal
 Jonathan Ashbridge
 Plunkett grants
 Booster Programme Wiltshire Council – grant opportunity
 Business Plan – final review and sign off.
Publicity
1. Steve to continue to be part of group but also now to include Sara Jeal to manage twitter
and co-manage facebook account. Andy to also be involved in this.
2. Jonathan Ashbridge
Andy and Nel meeting JA (local) tonight to request support with legal background and also
negotiations of sale.
3. Plunkett
Nel has applied to Plunkett for grant/loan £100, 000 which is part loan £50k and part grant
50k. There is also provision for a bursary of £2500.
4. WCC
Possibilities of grants from WCC – Andy to research.
5. Business Plan
Final amendments – still awaiting correct figures/3 year projection.

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

Minutes 12 April 2018

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes 12/04/18

12th April 2018 Meeting 7 of 7

Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis, Steve Grist

Apologies Sarah Huggins

Agenda:

* Minutes of 5th April agreed

* Project Action Plan/Registration Update

* PR

* Ideas for next fundraiser

* Business Plan

* Expense/Income Balance Sheet

* Negotiator/Value

* Voting re. name in minutes

* Recruitment for Skilled Directors.

1. Action Plan

Action Plan viewed by team.

2. PR

Andy and Nel updated re. meeting with Esther. She has many contacts, including tv, broadsheets and tabloids. She is very keen to help. Sharyn to liaise with Matt re. Youtube stuff, i.e. radio interview/photos + other PR ventures.

3. Next fundraiser

16th June gig – Sharyn to contact Coronation Hall to see if available. Also contact MJ. Sarah to talk to State of Undress. Decided to have a music/summer fete day, cake, tombola, hook a duck, lucky dip + other suggestions. Ask Pete about a clown session.

4. Business Plan

Nel to revise business plan and email it to the group for approval and amendments. Nel reported that the bank with the best fit for us is ‘Ecology Building.’ She will call them on Monday

5. Expense/Income Balance Sheet – created by Nel and emailed to group for additions.

6. Negotiator/Value

We need trades people to inspect timbers/woodwork for valuation purposes. Double check fixtures and fittings. Contact Christies to find out what is included in the purchasing price.

7. Recruitment for Skilled Directors

Sarah to draft advert for website and facebook page. Sharyn to contact Jen re accountancy, Ady to contact Mel and Sue re. daughter for solicitors

8. Leaflet for information and potential investors

The group are happy with the wording, colours need adjusting when go to print.

9. Crowdfunding

Advice required from David Boyle. Sarah/Sharyn to sort out.

10. Need to write up the gig proceeds and steps – Steve?

11. Andy is to contact council re. the planning enforcement order.

12. Sarah and Sharyn to manage door to door leaflets and questionnaires.

13. Andy and Nel updated re. meeting with Nick Brown. We need to make sure investors are reassured that we are going to stick with the project physically.

14. Andy to contact economic development officer at council. Prospectus run by FCA

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

Minutes 17/4/18

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes 17/4/18

17 th April 2018 Meeting 8 of 8
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis,Sarah Huggins
Apologies Steve Grist, Ben Pope
Agenda:
 Bank
 David Boyle
 Donations
 Business Plan
 Registration
 Crowdfunder
 AOB
1. Bank
Ecology don’t do current accounts. HSBC is a good option – made appointment for Friady.
2. David Boyle
is fine with all queries. He has told us about the standard mark – we can apply for £10,000
start-up funding on application.
3. DBB
– has given us money from the Southgate chilli night – needs banking.
4. Figures for Business Plan
Went through the Business Plan in detail – amended and tweaked. Need a 3 year
projection, currently only have 2.
5. Crowdfunder
We need to include the business plan on the page.
6. Registration of the Company is currently 3 weeks away.
7. Public Meeting – arrange for June 16 th Coronation Hall – Sarah to arrange.
8. Still looking out for a valuer – tried various contacts around the area.

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

Minutes 5th April 18

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes 05/04/18

5th April 2018 Meeting 7

Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis, Ben Pop, Sarah Huggins Steve Grist, Bethan Englefield

Agenda:

· Minutes of 27th March agreed

1. Email from Cooperative People

They say that we can’t be called a cooperative. So we need to vote on a new name.

Suggestions so far: Barge Collective, Save the Barge Inn, Pewsey Vale Pub Collective, The Barge Inn Preservation Society, The Shared Barge Company, The Barge Inn Community Benefit Society.

2. Survey

The surveyor (Ben to add name and contact details) says he can act as our negotiator but the fee would 1% of the sale price. Red book would be £2k + vat or £1.5k + vat if we use him as a negotiator.

Very helpful advice and suggests we look at the story of the Packhorse near Bath.

Ben feels that 1% of sale value is a lot. He may agree to a cap, eg. 1% of sales value or £x whatever is the lower. If a 5k cap was agreed, it would be inclusive of the valuation etc.

3. Overview of Ben’s conversation with Surveyor.

1. He has acted on both sides of the very similar transactions before.

2. He thinks the chance of the council doing a compulsory purchase order is at best slim.

3. Despite a valuation, it doesn’t mean the current owner needs to sell it at that price. The only way forward is to negotiate. He feels he can put a strong case to Christie’s man, help if we do want to submit anything to the council and do a valuation.

4. If a price is agreed, we need to be certain that we can fulfil the price + all costs, legal fees, stamp duty etc.

5. It would be unusual for a bank to want to lend more than 60% of the valuation value not any multiple of the eventual agreed price.

Suggestions from Ben for way forward:

1. Get the valuation, which will set our max borrowing and will determine max bid.

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 20 march 2018

Barge Cooperative Meeting Minutes

27th March 2018 6pm Meeting 6 of 6

Present Nel and Andy Lingard, Steve Grist, Sharyn Jarvis, Sarah Huggins

Apologies Ben Pope, Bethan Englefield

Support Darren from Earth Radicals and Si Tux joined us to advise and generally be a godsend with Sound Equipment.

Minutes of 20th March Agreed

Agenda:

1. Benefit Gig at Bouverie Hall

Malfuncktion pulled out today.

· Make sure heating is turned off for evening.

· Revised Timings for Band:

Tripolar: 7.30 – 8.15

Boothills: 8.30 – 9.30

Urban Lions: 10 – 11.00

Darren will talk to Phil B about this.

· Set up hall for music, food and bar at 4pm

· Bouverie Hall terms have been added to email address . These terms are also adequate as risk assessment.

· Lights in bar and kitchen need to be dimmed – Sarah to bring plug-in lamps.

· Sharyn bring Cash box

· Sarah bring Whiteboard/whiteboard pen

· Steve bring bucket for cash on door

· Sarah bring stapler

· Nel and Andy to get float – NB: Ben recommended £100 worth.

· Stever to state on fb that there is no admission after 10.30pm

Prices

Ale – £3

Cider – £3

Cans – £2

Short + mix – £3.50 Double – £5

Wine – £4 125 measure £3.50

Sharyn to bring chalkboard/chalk to list prices

Burgers/Hot Dogs/Veggie Burger – £2

David Boyle response to Rules

The amendments cost money

1-6 amendments = £150

7 – 10 = £350

10 + = £950

Questions to David Boyle: Who does the payments go to? What other charges should we expect to incur through the process?

Public Meeting

After the gig, we will set a date for a public meeting to be held, probably at Coronation Hall by the end of April.

Coms post Gig

We will send out communication re the following after the gig:

– How much we have raised

– Thanks to everyone who supported

– Where we’re at in terms of the process.

– Our next steps

Information for Gig

Sarah to draft a poster for foyer of gig.

Next Meeting not yet set.

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 20 march 2018

Barge Inn Cooperative:   Meeting Minutes

20th March 2018   6pm Meeting 5 of 5  
Present Andy Lingard, Nel Lingard, Steve Grist, Sharyn Jarvis, Sarah Huggins, Ben Pope

Apologies:  Bethan Englefield

 

  • Minutes of 13th March agreed by group.

 

  • Draft rules – agree and sign off

Rules agreed and signed off – two outstanding queries that Nel will draft.  

 

  • Update from Ben’s conversation with Christies

 

  • No accounts available

Christies are fine with overage

  • Building work that hasn’t been remedied, a sum will need to be deducted from purchase price.
  • Current owner doesn’t want to go to lease but there was discussion about a tenancy at will (no defined period, each side only needs to give one month’s notice).
  • Christies does not have any instruction not to sell it to us. Current ownders lawyer have no instruction to not sell to us.

Situation with current owners discussed .

  • Christie’s man will email Current Owner about confirmation about selling to us, tenancy at will.

 

  1. Esther – PR and TV. Esther was not able to join us at the meeting.
  2. Nick Brown – previous life in Mergers & Acquisitions & Legal officer for K&A group

– Ben is leaving on 10th April until end of November.

 – Group agreed that in Ben’s absence, we will consult Nick with any legalese questions if needed and if he is able to help.

  1. Benefit gig tasks and countdown: Task list given out.
  2. AOB: We will have a valuation and survey then make a firm decision as to what we are prepared to pay.

 

Next Meeting:  Southgate , Tuesday 27th at 6pm

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 13 march 2018

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes

13th March 2018                     6pm Meeting 4 of 4  
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis, Ben Pop, Sarah Huggins Apologies:  Steve Grist, Bethan Englefield

 

Agenda:

  • Minutes of 8th March agreed by group.

Rules

The format being used is a ‘fits all’ one, which has been sent by David Boyle.  As a group we need to ensure that it suits our purpose.  Nel and Ben will do this and will present the changes to the group before the benefit so that we can register the company once we have the funds from the gig.

Amendments/Decisions made at this meeting:

  • Directors hold 3year term.
  • There are 5 meetings per year, 1 AGM + 4 General – some discussion took place as to how to hold these meetings – this can be decided at a later date.
  • Membership Criteria – the group decided No to User and Employee members.  Yes to Supporter members.
  • There will be an elected board of directors, voted at the first AGM, which takes place after 18 months from company being in business. Potential candidates will be viewed online/village newsletter/village noticeboard.

 

PCC link

Polly Carson will be our PCC liaison.

Sharyn will contact Jackie and Liz.  We would also like to ask Robert CT to join us in a capacity.

Community Benefits

Discussion took place around how the pub will be beneficial to the community, aside from being a community pub. Ideas ranged from ensuring a place for younger members of the community to gather safely (youth club) to providing music and food to over sixties.  Ben also talked about a Community Points card scheme, where people who were signed up could issue points to be used in the pub, for example, litter picking along the towpath.

Ben also suggested a google document, named Scribbleboard, where we can add ideas and suggestions as they come to be decided on at a later date.

Questionnaire

This was agreed and Sharyn will talk to Tanya at Wessex print to get 400 copies to be signed at benefit and taken door to door.

Roles

We will need to decide and designate roles in the company.

Funds raised from Benefit

For registration and valuation initially, depending on amount raised.  Survey also, if funds allow.

Raffle

Sarah will make a poster of raffle prizes to have up at gig.

Future Meetings

Need to make meetings more structured and take it in turns to be chair.

Next Meeting Black Horse 20th March

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 8 march 2018

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes

8th March 2018     6pm Meeting 3 of 3
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis, Steve Grist, Sarah Huggins Apologies:  Ben Pope, Bethan Englefield

 

Minutes of 20th February agreed.

Agenda:

Support from Urban Lions

  • Steve to make post on fb page with links to the bands playing to promote their music.
  • Steve to make post on fb page to ask bands that have played at the Barge to send their best song to Phil for mixing.
  • Sharyn to invite Phil to look over Bouverie Hall, Andy to join.
  • Discussion re. admin rights to facebook page – Steering Group only.

PCC

  • Nel updated PCC on where we are with bid. They were very positive.
  • PCC agreed to post information on their village website and in newsletter.
  • Polly Carson agreed to be the PCC liaison for the Barge Cooperative and the PCC agreed to ask for locals to come forward to also represent the village.
  • PCC made official decision that they were not going for a bid and will inform the council that this is so. They will also add that we are going to bid.

Community Shares Company

  • Steve updated us on his conversation with David Boyle. The Community Shares Company is looking more favourable as a mentor and signposter to access funding.  Nel will talk to David (also Ben if available) and the group agreed that they will accept whichever decision Ben and Nel make as to who to go with (Plunkett or CSC)

Legal Structures

  • Nel has gone through four main choices of community company. She has recommended that we go for Community Benefit Society as it ticks the most boxes to fit our purpose.

Setting up Company

  • Need to get going with the formation of the company as we need a business bank account to be able to begin accessing funding. To set up the company we need to decide the rules and will follow the Rulebook that David Boyle has sent to email.  This will be completed at next meeting.
  • Next step will be to register as a ltd company at Companies House and with FCA – will DB be able to help out with that?

 

Benefit Gig

  • Raffle: Tickets are £1 each.  Sharyn has sold a lot and has obtained more raffle prizes  – see list.
  • Sharyn will contact Marden Community minibus + driver to run people from Woodbridge and Golden Swan.
  • Raffle Money will be stored in Nel’s saving account for now until we have a business account.
  • Takings on night will be stored in an agreed place.
  • All alcohol is sale or return apart from cans of lager and cider.

Next Meeting:  Black Horse  Tuesday 13th March

Please help us to publicise the campaign:

minutes 20 feb 2018

Barge Inn Cooperative Meeting Minutes

20th February 2018  6pm Meeting 2 of 2  
Present Andy and Nel Lingard, Sharyn Jarvis, Steve Grist, Ben Pope, Sarah Huggins, Bethan Englefield.

 

Minutes of 13th February Agreed

Agenda:  Nel went through the project plan – all members to go through project plan with Plunket doc.

  1. Grants available – Andy will research and find out.
  2. Sharyn to go back to Plunkett people and seek mentor. Each member of Steering group to pledge £10 for membership.
  3. Legal – We need to write the rules – Ben to talk to banks on finding finance list to find out if they have panel lawyers and surveyors etc.
  4. We need start up costs for lawyers etc. Music night – Bouverie Hall – Sharyn contact and book.  Fundraiser needs to raise £5000.  Write to local businesses to donate raffle prizes, Nige to donate a barrel, £10 per ticket, Sharyn – rest of beer, get tickets printed (Chezzy), Chezzy to print posters.  Merchandise – t-shirts (I’m INN??) Go for 31st
  5. Me to put list of banks up on email address for Ben to email everyone.
  6. Get writing to celebrities – research and write personal letters.
  7. Ben to set up Google Docs – spreadsheets etc.
  8. Steve to finish website.
  9. Bethan to talk to Stig, Pete and Emma at Swan in Enford (community pub) + chap who owns The Music Box.

 

Ben – see below for list of banks.

Parish Council can apply for a Public Works Loan which can be passed to organisation as grant

Community Development Finance Institutions

Go through Finding Finance – put in Wiltshire/250000-999999 – came up with these banks:

Charity Bank – www.charitybank.org

Big Issue Invest – www.bigissueinvest.com

FSE Local Growth Finance – www.thefsegroup .com

RBS Social and Community Capital – up to 750,000 – www.rbs.co.uk/scc

Resonance Community Land and Finance – clfcic@resonance.ltd.uk

Triodos Bank – (sounds really good, only lends to places that create real social, environmental and cultural value.

Please help us to publicise the campaign: